Friday, September 18, 2009

Young gurus rule the roost


WITH THEIR appeasing words, admirable erudition and never-ending energy, young teachers continue to rule the heart of students. They act more as a friend than as a teacher and hence are more understanding, that’s what many students opine about their favourite teachers. But what makes them popular?
A lot of students of students believe that young teachers are more affable and understanding as compared to the aged ones. Take for instance the famous Lucknow University, and the opinion seems to be true, while many students prefer bunking most of their classes, nobody wants to miss the Anthropology class of Rahul Patel sir, their young Anthropology teacher who has done his Post graduation from the university itself. For students he is just like someone from among them, yet very admirable.
And Rahul Patel sincerely admits this, “As a student I faced many hardships in my academics which I don’t want my students to face. I guide them, and try to make things simple so that they can easily open up and share whatever they want,” he says.
“I don’t think an unmarried teacher understands student better than a married one. The only reason why students think so is the age factor. May be students find young teachers more affable which gets replaced with respect in case of an aged teacher,” he says.
While Amity College is buzzing with routine activities, ask anyone about their favourite teacher. An immidiate reply you would get is Chander Mahadev Sir, their journalism teacher.
But what makes him popular among his pupils is his indefatigable attitude and exhorting and interactive personality. “He is like Dues ex machine, always there for his students. He is our hero, like a true friend and someone we always look forward to,” says one of his students.
And what the guru gyaan says on this? “I am a friend for my students and not their teacher. As a mentor, I want to bring out the best in my students and I always want them to do better in their career,” says Mahadev sir.
While for many marital status may not matter, but girls of IT College believe unmarried young female teachers are more understanding than others. Perhaps this is what makes Akansha Shukla, a young Geography teacher one of their favourites.
Another popular teacher is J Fernandis, the HOD of English Department in IT College. She is a teacher, whose class no one affords to miss. “Every student’s dream is to be a student of her class,” says Nupur Singh, a student.
Unlike earlier where student teacher relationship was dominated under respect and sincerity, today students try to find a friend in their teachers, this is the reason why young and unmarried teachers are their first choice.

1 comment:

sharad said...

Dear Itisha I just read your article. I was eagerly waiting for your new article.Today teacher has very challenging role. A proper interaction between a teacher and students can cure many problem. Mr. Rahul Patel was my best friend. Mahadeva sir indeed very interactive with students